Book Club

When we first moved to Temple, I was invited to join a book club. I wasn't quite sure what to think of the idea, but since we only know a couple people here, I thought it would be a great way to make friends. So far I'm loving it. We only meet once a month, and it's a pretty small group, so it works well. January was my turn to host. This means that I chose the book in December for all of us to read. Then we got together and I covered dinner and (of course!) wine for everyone will we chit-chat and talk about the book. Rarely does everyone make it through the entire book, and there is one lady who never reads the book but comes for the social hour...so the discussion is usually a team story-telling. And often laughing and pointing out the things we disliked...the unrealistic storyline, or the overly detailed descriptions.

For my turn, I chose Little Bee by Chris Cleave.
Have you read it? What did you think? Haven't read it? Well, here's what the back cover has to say: "We don't want to tell you what happens in this book. It is truly a special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless, you need to know enough to buy it, so we will just say this: This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice we hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again-the story starts there...Once you've read it, you'll want to tell your friends about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens. The magic is in how the story unfolds."

So, there you have it. I bet you want to read it now, huh? Read it. And tell me what you think.

For next month, my friend Sarah has chosen: Room by Emma Donoghue. I've been wanting to read it for a while, so I'm looking forward to cracking the Nook back open and getting started!

Comments

Popular Posts